Photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket   Photobucket

2009-08-19

A Mom After God's Own Heart

I have SO much to do today because tomorrow morning we leave on a quick mini-vacation and technically I should be showering but I'm really loving blogging these days and wanted to post a little something. It's funny because I don't think many people ever read (or even know it exists)this particular blog (except for Michele lol) but I enjoy doing it so that's reason enough.


I've been reading the book A Mom After God's Own Heart for, well, forever, it seems. I keep coming back to the first few chapters. There's so many great things in there regarding parenting and raising Godly children that I keep re-reading it after I've gotten sick of myself and the Monster Mommy I find myself turning into. I'm sure we've all heard the verse in Proverbs "Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old he will not depart from it". I used to think that "train" meant taking them to church and reading them Bible stories. As my kids get older I've realized that it's really soooooo much more than that. It's teaching them scripture and reading it to them so that it gets buried deep within their little hearts. It's showing them that our relationship with God should be the most precious, most important thing in our lives. It's respecting our husbands so that they learn to respect their dad. Pretty much every things we do or say should be life lessons we pass onto our children.

One thing that Elizabeth George, the author of A Mom After God's Own Heart, talks about is reading the Word to our children. Here's an excerpt from the book that really spoke to me:
"It doesn't matter how long it's read. Even a few minutes a day will make a powerful impression on your family...................And don't worry about what your children are or are not getting out of your Bible reading times. What they do get is the firsthand experience of seeing your love for the Bible and your wholehearted commitment to God and His Son. They'll realize God's Word is important to you...therefore it will become important to them. They also get to hear scriptures. And, as the Bible teaches, "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the Word of God" (Romans 10:17). Your family members will also receive familiarity and respect for the Bible that will help them to love and live the Word of God as they age."

I've slacked in this area but I'm glad that I keep coming back to this book to remind me of what's important.

Photobucket

1 enchanted replies:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

That sounds like such a great book Diana! I think I will need to have a read at that!
Love Collette xxxx